On Ground To February
National ARNO (led by Jane Garrison, Pia Salk, David Meyer) continues animal aid through Jan into Feb. Our database still overflows with animal sightings. Under homes. In sewers. On ledges. They struggle on empty streets. Food sources vanished with evacuees. Yet more are hungry, with the endless litters. Some live in buildings to be bulldozed. Please open your heart to animals.
ARNO/Best Friends Site
Volunteers Report To
5959 Veterans Memorial Boulevard
Metairie, LA 70003 (Kirschman's Furniture across street)
- ARNO Volunteers: Attend 6:00pm orientation meeting. Food/Water volunteers report to Cadi Schiffer. Trap/Rescue volunteers report to Jessica Higgins. Cat Trappers call Jane Garrison pre-trip: 843-343-8887.
- All Volunteers: Check in with Juliette, Best Friends, to fill out CS forms. If you want to do food/water or trap/rescue (in field), clearly state this.
- Directions To Staging Area: Fly to New Orleans or Baton Rouge. Rent vehicle with room for gear. Celebration Station is at I-10 and Veterans Memorial Blvd. From NOLA airport, Veterans Memorial Blvd. is first or second exit off I-10, traveling east.
Donate Supplies And Funding
Contribute To ARNO Via Save-A-Pet
P.O. Box 7
Redondo Beach, CA 90277
Check memo: Animal Rescue New Orleans
Tax-deductible via Save-A-Pet, 501c3 nonprofit
Donate Toward Veterinary Care, Spay/Neuter
Southern Animal Foundation
1823 Magazine Street
New Orleans, LA 70130
Send Supplies For ARNO
Supply Needs/Delivery Coordinator: Colleen Kessler
Send Shipments To:
Attn: Animal Rescue New Orleans
c/o Celebration Station
5959 Veterans Memorial Blvd
Metairie, LA 70003
Rescue, Sheltering, Care
- Dry And Wet Dog/Cat Food
- Pop-Top Can Cat Food or Mackerel (traps)
- Deep Aluminum Trays, Litter Boxes, Basins, Buckets (to hold food/water)
- Slip Leashes, Paper Collars (intake ID)
- Large/Medium Plastic Crates (transport)
- Humane Large Dog Traps and Cat Traps
- Combo Locks-6ft Chains (traps not stolen)
- Catch Poles, Crowbars
- Towels and Sheets
- Fresh Water (gallon), Pedialyte
- Grooming Clippers (do not send cordless)
- Meaty Bones (reduces stress)
- Bite-Proof Thick Gloves
- Car Glass Chalk To Mark Rescue Vehicles
- Spray Paint, Flashlights, Space Heaters
- GPS Units, Street Mapping Capability
Gift Cards, Volunteer Stuff
- Wal-Mart, Office Depot, Home Depot
- Gas Station Gift Cards: BP, Shell
- Bottled Water, Gatorade, Energy Bars, Snacks, Food Gift Cards
Send Gift Cards To: Cadi Schiffer or Jessica Higgins
Animal Rescue New Orleans, c/o Celebration Station
5959 Veterans Memorial Blvd
Metairie, LA 70003
- Dewormer (Strongid)
- Capstar, Frontline, Revolution
- Any Heartworm Preventive
- Any Antibiotics
- Gauze, Vet Wrap
- Print Cartridges, Copier Toner, Copy Paper
- Laminated Maps: Mississippi (Gulf Coast) & Louisiana (New Orleans)
- Pens, Note Pads, Spiral Notebooks
- Tape, Paper Clips, Staples, Staplers
- Notebook Computers, Laptops, Generators
- RVs, SUVs, Vans, Pick-Up Trucks
Best Friends: Adopt ■ Foster
Transport from Tylertown to foster/adopt locales:
, Foster Coordinator
435-644-3965 x4186, fax: 435-644-2701
Must provide vet references.
How To Volunteer
If you have firm arrive/depart dates, please go
. Due to email volume we can't always reply quickly, but have recorded your information for dispatch.
Email Your Information To:
or Kate Danaher
Do not send to both
, this slows intake!
What Do Volunteers Do?
- In your email, state your
- Street, city, state, zip:
- Cell phone, land phone:
- Email address:
- Your experience with animals:
- ARRIVE/DEPART dates:
- How did you hear about ARNO?
- Do you get Kinship Circle Alerts?
- Type Hurricane Volunteer in email subject line.
- If you are an Animal Control Officer, Veterinarian, Vet Tech or Trapper, state this in email subject line. For example, Hurricane Volunteer: Vet Tech
- Food/Water: Keep animals alive until rescue. Replenish food/water in assigned section, document animals to facilitate trapping, reunion.
- Caregivers: Animal care, walks, cleaning, intake, animal records, etc.
- Trapping: ACOs, DVMs, trappers, vet techs. Stay in NOLA at least a week.
- Rescue: Rescue requests and strays who don't need trapping. Experience mandatory.
- Admin: Track animals, ID records, data entry, photography, phones.
- Transport: Local transport of animals, supplies. Mini-van, SUV, or truck.
- Vet Techs, Aides: Medical evaluation and ongoing animal healthcare.
ARNO Contact List
On-Site ~ Louisiana
Long-Term Food/Water Program, LA Residents
Brenda Shoss, email@example.com
General Admin and Trapping Coordinator
On-Site Food/Water Director
Best Friends Volunteer Manager
Best Friends Animal Care & Admin
, 435-644-3965, ex. 4471
ARNO ~ National
Nationwide Volunteer Coordinators
/ Brenda Shoss
Food/Water Program Assignments Director
ARNO Trapping Coordinator
DOGS ~ Pia Salk
CATS ~ Jane Garrison