Contacts ■ Staging Areas
Task Force Leaders: Cris Stevens and Terri Kelley, 219-608-4112, 219-326-8887
For Volunteers To Obtain Security Authorization Papers: Sharon Gorski
Lansas Kennels, Mandeville: Kendra Williams, 985-246-9388
Mandeville Staging Area
Ship supplies: c/o Kendra Williams
23015 Kilgore St / Mandeville, LA 70471
We've been helping Pontchartrain Humane Society, plus animals from Pearlington, Mississippi, and Plaquemines Parish and New Orleans in Louisiana. Kinship Circle helped us gain National Guard clearance into Plaquemines for search-rescue
. We were one of the first out-state groups in the parish.
Volunteers convene at Lansas Kennels in Mandeville, LA to scout and aid other storm areas. Currently, we are in Plaquemines.
Plaquemines Animal Rescue Update
- Wear a dark blue t-shirt.
- Bring well-treaded, high boots. Up to 4 inches of oil covers ground in Plaquemines areas where Katrina caused an oil spill.
- If you arrive at Mandeville kennels and rescuers are not there, they are in the field. You may help with Katrina dogs there or volunteer elsewhere and check back.
We had gained authorization from the New Mexico National Guard for rescue units to enter Plaquemines Parish. Volunteer rescue units work under the auspices of Dr. Habert, the parish veterinarian originally established at Belle Chase Animal Shelter. Dr. Habert has since moved to a Senior Center to accommodate more animals.
The Plan ~
Three teams of 4-5 rescuers enter Plaquemines daily. A team of baiters joins them. No animals can leave Plaquemines. All are treated. Dr. Habert's crew wants to reunite them with guardians.
The Temp Problem ~
When Hurricane Rita evacuations were ordered on 9/20, the Plaquemines Parish president denied rescuers entry despite our relationship with the parish vet. Still, rescuers managed a night mission. We are working on this transition. Please check in, especially if en route to Lamar-Dixon. Mandeville is an hour from Gonzales.
Supply Needs As Of 9/21/05
Needs fluctuate. Check with Cris/Terri (219-608-4112) or Sarah (219-608-1735).
- Plastic Totes (large Rubbermaid types)
- Transporters, Trailers, SUVs, Trucks
- Cots, Air Mattresses, Bulk Towels
- Catch Poles, Cat/Dog Traps
- Water, Ice, Gatorade
- Diesel, Unleaded Fuel